Share |

Sunday 11 October 2009

BN or PR? It’s still going to be only a 1,000-vote majority

Image

Anyway, so that no one can accuse me of chickening out, I shall predict the by-election result for tomorrow. And my crystal ball says to go with the Indians. So it shall be PAS within a 1,000 or so vote majority.

NO HOLDS BARRED

Raja Petra Kamarudin

My Chinese ‘underworld’ connections tell me that Umno is going to win the Bagan Pinang by-election tomorrow. But it is going to be within only a 1,000-vote majority, they tell me.

My Indian ‘underworld’ connections say this is rubbish. They assure me that PAS is going to win, but still within only a 1,000-vote majority.

My Malay ‘underworld’ connections say they will give me their prediction tomorrow night once the results are announced. At this stage they don’t know who is going to win but they do agree with both the Chinese and Indians -- in that the majority is going to be within only 1,000 votes.

Shit! Thus far I have been able to predict the election results with not too much trouble. In February 2008, I was able to predict that the opposition will win between 80 to 100 parliament seats and will grab five states in the March general election. I could even name the five states. And my predictions for the by-elections since March 2008 have also been almost spot-on, sometimes out by a mere 100 votes or so. But this Bagan Pinang by-election is a real teaser.

Anyway, so that no one can accuse me of chickening out, I shall predict the by-election result for tomorrow. And my crystal ball says to go with the Indians. So it shall be PAS within a 1,000 or so vote majority.

I just hope the Bagan Pinang voters do not disappoint me and break my thus far perfect score. But I suppose one can’t always be right.

*************************************************

Umno Youth: BN's rise from the ashes is in Bagan Pinang

Written by Chua Sue-Ann, The Edge

Umno Youth leaders yesterday proclaimed the sleepy beachside town of Bagan Pinang as the site of Barisan Nasional's (BN) rise from the ashes, in an apparent show of confidence that victory in the by-election is within reach.

Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin, in a rousing half-hour speech to some 2,000 people here last night, said he was confident Bagan Pinang would be remembered in history as the place where Umno "rose again".

"We have no choice but to let Barisan Nasional win in Bagan Pinang. This is where we will stop the political tsunami before we drown in the opposition's politics," Khairy told to an attentive, youth-dominated audience.

The ruling coalition is betting on former Negeri Sembilan menteri besar Tan Sri Mohd Isa Samad to put a stop to Pakatan Rakyat's (PR) winning streak in Peninsula Malaysia since the general election last year.

PR only lost the Batang Ai state seat contest in Sarawak, sweeping the seven seats in Peninsula Malaysia up for grabs since March last year.

BN's ceramah, dubbed "Pentas Pemuda", drew one of BN's largest crowds during by-election campaign season.

Umno Youth deputy chief Datuk Razali Ibrahim, who took the stage before Khairy, echoed similar assurance.

"Bagan Pinang will be the place where BN blooms (berkembang mekar) again. It will erase all our previous losses," said Razali, who is also Deputy Youth and Sports Minister.

Khairy, Razali and the other BN youth leaders also trained their guns on opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who had arrived in Bagan Pinang yesterday for campaigning.

Today is the last day of campaigning before Bagan Pinang goes to the ballot box on Sunday.

PAS candidate Zulkefly Mohamad Omar faces an uphill battle against Isa, who is a political veteran and local strongman.

No comments: