Share |

Friday 24 April 2009

STATEMENT IN MAKKAL OSAI TODAY NOT TRUE

I refer to a press statement in makkal osai today quoting me as saying that HINDRAF National Coordinator should leave the movement if he wants to form a political party. The above statement is not true and is definitely misleading.

I have always maintained that HINDRAF is apolitical but we have “Political Friends” who continuously support and are with our struggle.

I enclose below the statement I issued yesterday.

P.Waytha Moorthy
23.04.09

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESS STATEMENT 22.04.09

I have been asked to comment on the recent announcement by HINDRAF National Coordinator RS Tanendran on his intentions to form a political party and the stand of HINDRAF.

Tanendran is free to exercise his constitutional right to form a political party. His decision must have been based on grassroots sentiments. There should be no criticisms for his actions. He is a good grass root leader who has strong public backing and is capable and has every potential to lead a new party. He must have thought about the idea very carefully before making a decision. I would be meeting him in India within the next 2 weeks.

From its inception and throughout the roadshows between September – November 2007- prior to the November 2007 Rally I have in every speeches that I delivered stressed that I do not have any political ambitions nor would I convert HINDRAF into a political party. Having said that I also acknowledged in all my speeches that however HINDRAF have “Political Friends” and cited M.Manoharan (ISA detainee), Manickavasagam, Manohar, Jayathas and many other active political party members who were supporters of the cause of HINDRAF.

I once again reiterate and stress that I would not be forming any political party nor would I convert HINDRAF into a political party. However hindraf supporters are free to form, join or support any political party they choose.

P. Waytha Moorthy.
CHAIRMAN
HINDRAF

No comments: