Share |

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Dr Nedu: I’m still contesting in GE13

The MCLM-backed candidate confirms that he will contest in the Kapar seat in the next general election.

PETALING JAYA: The first Barisan Rakyat Independent Candidate (BRIC), Dr Nedunchelian Vengu, has affirmed that he will still be battling it out for the Kapar seat in the 13th general election.

His clarification this morning was a move to clear up the confusion following a recent statement by the Malaysian Civil Liberties Movement (MCLM) chairman, Raja Petra Kamarudin, that the movement would not be fielding any candidates for the upcoming polls.

“I have been receiving concerned calls from my team and Kapar residents about my candidacy and I’d like to assure them that I will still be contesting the Kapar seat,” Nedunchelian told FMT.

“I was never an MCLM candidate so even if MCLM isn’t around tomorrow, my election campaign will continue. I started my groundwork before MCLM’s endorsement, so Raja Petra’s statement has in no way affected my decision to stand for elections.”

Last July Nedunchelian was officially introduced to the public as a BRIC and an MCLM-backed candidate.

“I accepted MCLM’s support because the tenets of my personal campaign agenda fit with the movement’s social inclusion agenda,” he had said back then.

MCLM’s former president, Haris Ibrahim, had however emphasised that Nedunchelian would remain independent from the movement.

Haris, who announced his resignation from MCLM yesterday, also said that contrary to Raja Petra’s statement, no decision had been made on the fielding of MCLM-backed candidates.

Nedunchelian was born and raised in Kapar, and opened his first dental practice there. As such he pointed out that it was only right for him to contest in his hometown.

“Of the numerous people who offered themselves as candidates under BRIC, I was one of the few to survive MCLM’s stringent vetting and be acknowledged as a winnable candidate,” he said.

“Part of that reason is because I have been close to the grassroots through my community work. I’ve conducted numerous free medical and dental clinics for the needy and children as well as programmes for single mothers and the underpriviledged.”

Nedunchelian will most likely be facing incumbent, PKR’s S Manikasagam, and acandidate from MIC for the seat.

No comments: