Share |

Friday 5 November 2010

Gentle Housewife Linda Tsen Turns Giant Killer

SANDAKAN, Nov 4 (Bernama) -- Shy and gentle housewife Datin Linda Tsen Thau Lin turned giant killer when she trounced two political heavyweights in the Batu Sapi parliamentary seat by-election, here Thursday.

Tsen, the widow of incumbent MP Datuk Edmund Chong Ket Wah and was also Barisan Nasional's (BN) choice in the by-election, was happy with her victory, yet had mixed feelings at the same time.

"I am happy but I also have mixed feelings because I miss my husband," she said when met after being announced the new Batu Sapi member of parliament at the Sandakan Community Hall, here, where the votes were tallied.

Tsen won with a 6,359-vote majority, garnering 9,773 votes against 3,414 obtained by Parti Keadilan Rakyat's (PKR) Ansari Abdullah and 2,031 by Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) president Datuk Yong Teck Lee.

The by-election was held following Chong's death in a road accident on Oct 9.

The mother of four aged 13 to 23 was excited to go back into the arms of her children after 10 days of campaigning.

"The first thing I want to do is to go back and see my children because I have been away from them for so long and I miss them very much," she said.

Tsen also said she would be going to each area in her constituency and see what she could do for the people.

"I will try my best and I will work hard, of course.

"And as a new MP, there is a lot I have to learn. So, please give me a chance," she said.

Meanwhile, Ansari was not surprised with the outcome of the by-election.

"I said before that PKR would not win. But we would not be in third place," he said.

He claimed that BN's win was driven by corruption during the campaign period where PKR had lodged police reports on several of BN's wrongdoings.

"But until now there has been no action taken by the police or the Election Commission," he said.

Yong said the election was an exercise for SAPP to prepare for the next general election.

"SAPP is resilient. When we fall, we always get up again. And then we will fight and fight until we win and achieve autonomy for Sabah," he said.

Despite losing and coming in last in the contest, Yong said SAPP would be holding a thanksgiving ceremony for their hardwork.

Yong also congratulated Tsen for her victory and wished her the best of luck in serving and fulfilling the wishes of the Batu Sapi people.

No comments: