Share |

Wednesday 1 September 2010

No plans to give up MIC top post by December: Samy Vellu

"I don't deny that I will be leaving but it will be at the date that I have set."

SEREMBAN: MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu has refuted speculation that he will give up the post by December, saying such talk was merely the imagination of those behind it.

"I would like to congratulate those who have been saying that I would go by December for their plan.

"I don't deny that I will be leaving but it will be at the date that I have set," he told reporters after witnessing the signing of agreements of understanding between Tafe College and the Germany's Air-Tech Bildung and DNest Aviation Services Sdn Bhd here Wednesday.

Samy Vellu was responding to an article in an English daily Wednesday which said he had apparently told his inner circle that "we would not be around after December".

The daily had also said that a farewell was being organised for the longest-serving MIC president. It further said Gerakan Anti Samy Vellu, a movement set up by a group of disgruntled party members who had been pressuring the president to go sooner, had also been told to go easy on him as he would be leaving soon.

"Some people do not like me and they want me to leave during the night (quietly and without much fanfare). I have my own plan and I will go when I desire and that too during the day (to exit in style)," he said.

The former Works Minister previously said he would leave when his current term expired in 2012.

However, he subsequently said he would vacate his position before September next year.

Samy Vellu said since the party now had a minister and four deputy ministers, he would need to discuss with the respective branches on the need to bring stability to the party.

"Our leaders must do better than me...they need to formulate a plan on how to achieve the party's objectives," he said. - The Star

No comments: