Share |

Thursday 27 May 2010

Selcat chair has hidden agenda, says Kapar MP

By Rahmah Ghazali - Free Malaysia Today

PETALING JAYA: PKR's Kapar MP S Manikavasagam today claimed that Selangor speaker Teng Chang Khim has a “hidden agenda”against him.

Teng chairs the six-member panel of the Select Committee of Competency, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat) which will hold a public hearing on the sand mining scandal.

Manikavasagam, who exposed the scandal involving state government-owned company Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd (KSSB), is slated to take the stand on June 2.

Speaking to FMT, the Kapar MP said he does not expect a fair hearing because Teng has an axe to grind with him since the two locked horns over the Klang Bus Sentral station issue in 2008.

"He has a hidden agenda, and he will be against me like what he did to (state exco) Ronnie Liu," he said, referring to the Selcat hearing on the alleged misappropriation of funds in Liu's constituency.

"I don't think he will (be fair) to me. I think there will be a cover-up (by Selcat) to (protect) those people (involved)," he said, adding that it would not stop him from testifying at the hearing.

"Of course I will attend. Political-wise, I have to go and give full cooperation. I just hope that Teng (and others on the panel) can focus on this issue (without other agendas)," he said.

Manikavasagam said that he must be careful with his testimony and the evidence he presents at the hearing.

"Whatever I say, three million people (in Selangor) will be watching. I have the people, and evidence to (support his allegation)," he said.

'If I don't go, will they throw me in jail?'

Manikavasagam also expressed shock over Selcat's notice, compelling him to attend the public hearing.

He agreed with former Selangor menteri besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo who said the legislative body has no legal provisions to do so.

In its notice, Selcat said that Manikavasagam could be jailed for a year or be fined RM5,000 if he failed to attend the hearing, give his statement or provide documents as ordered.

"I was shocked when I read the notice. I am a witness, even in court cases, the subpoenas will not be like this. It is not right, they don't have the power.

"Let's say I choose not to go, are they going to throw me into Sungai Buloh prison? Or do they need to create a new prison (on behalf of Selcat)?" he asked.

Khir was reported as saying today that there were provisions in the law empowering Selcat to punish people and the attorney-general had not given clearance to Selcat to enforce such an action.

"Furthermore, if Selcat wants such power, new legislation needs to be passed in Parliament," he was quoted as saying.

In an immediate response, Teng said he will hold a press conference tomorrow to clarify the matter surrounding Selcat.

No comments: