Share |

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Zul Noordin: I'd quit PKR today - Malaysiakini

exclusive Defiant PKR parliamentarian Zulkifli Noordin has gone on the offensive in the face of impending disciplinary action, saying he is ready to quit the party any time.

He said politics are not his priority and that he would "willingly quit" if the situation reaches a point where he is seen as a bad apple in opposition coalition Pakatan Rakyat.

"People know that I have love and respect for Anwar and this has never wavered...but my love for my religion (Islam, goes beyond that) and I cannot compromise on this.

"If it reaches the stage that I could be a cause of problems in (Anwar's) quest to (take over) Putrajaya, I would withdraw. I would even quit the party today.

"If Anwar says he cannot compromise with me, I can quit. I have no qualms about this because I never expected to become a state representative or a YB (Yang Berhormat or member of parliament).

NONE"My life would continue (as usual). I am pretty sure they have made up their mind. Come 2013, they would say I should forget becoming a candidate."

Zulkifli (right) has come under fire for lodging a police report against PAS parliamentarian for Shah Alam Khalid Samad, for urging amendments to the Selangor Islamic enactment in light of the furore over the use of 'Allah' by non-Muslims.

Deeming that Zulkifli had gone too far with his latest act of provocation against Pakatan, the PRK political bureau referred him to a disciplinary panel and slapped a gag order on him, pending the hearing.

This did not stop him from giving an hour-long interview to Malaysiakini.

Zulkifli started his career in the party after 'parachuting' to contest in Kulim Bandar Baru parliamentary seat - an Umno stronghold - in the 2008 general election.

He said he was asked to do so at a short notice. Up to then, his main claim to fame was having acted as a lawyer for PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim in the latter's 1988 sodomy trial.

'I too have a choice'

Zulkifli, a Syarie lawyer turned politician, is known to take a conservative approach to Islam that has often run contrary to PKR's liberal stance.

He lamented the way some PKR leaders, especially Zaid Ibrahim, openly attacked him, after the political bureau made a collective decision on handling the complaint.

"I have been gagged. How can they attack me (when I cannot respond)? (The bureau has) every right to take action within its jurisdiction. But I also have the right to defend and explain myself.

If (disciplinary panel thinks my explanation) is unacceptable, it can always suspend me, expel me or strip me bare. That is up to them. But I too have a choice - to either accept the decision or quit the party."

In any case, he said the party's more liberal approach to the 'Allah' issue has dampened his spirits.

NONE"All this while I survived in PKR because I had (the belief that I could speak about religion). Now doubt has overtaken (that belief) although I've always believed in Anwar's struggle.

"(PKR has) always said that there are bigger things to worry about like corruption. But if there is no more room for me to fight for Islam, then that's it. I have nothing left to fight for (here).

"For me, if you fight for aqidah (faith), you can fight corruption, no matter how big it is...I just want to save Muslims. This has nothing to do with politics, but is (a matter of religion)."

Excerpts follow from the interview. These have been edited for language and clarity.

Malaysiakini: Tell us more about yourself.

Zulkifli Noordin: I was born in Baling, Kedah, and my parents were both police officers. But I was brought up in Ipoh for 25 years. That is why I am not really good with the Kedah dialect.

I had my early education at the Anderson School, Ipoh, and then King Edward School, Taiping, before doing a pre-university course at the Maktab Tentera. Then I pursued my A-levels in Oakland, New Zealand, and earned a law degree from Victoria University, New Zealand.

I provided legal aid services to start my law career. I have been involved with Muslim-based NGOs since student days.

My dad has passed away and my mum is still in Baling. I have three elder brothers and four younger sisters. My wife and I have four children, two boys and two girls. Now I have a great passion for horse riding and do this every weekend.

You were in PAS before, so how did you end up in PKR?

I am still a PAS member. I was a commissioner until the 2008 general election. Because of my close association with Anwar, I was asked to be the PKR candidate for Bandar Baru Kulim.

I thought it was suicide to put me there because it was an Umno stronghold and I did not expect to win. I contested, not as a PKR member but as Anwar's lawyer. And I won.

What do you think will happen in terms of disciplinary action against you?

I (don't know). I told the top leaders that I have my views and do not regret lodging the police report against Khalid because I think he has crossed the line.

I have the right to defend myself and explain myself. If they still feel that (what I've done) is unacceptable, then (they can) take the necessary action. I told (Anwar), 'You have made a decision and imposed a gag order on me, but there are certain quarters who keep attacking me'.

What happened to him when he was put in jail? They handcuffed him and beat him up when he was defenseless. This is exactly what is happening to me now. Just be fair to me. If they can talk, why can't I? What makes (PKR) any different than Umno?

pkr meeting 310110 anwar 01I am not scared of anything...I am not scared of losing my position. I don't even hold a party post. I don't even know whether I am a (PKR) member or not. Frankly, I don't know. All I know I am a PKR MP and Anwar's lawyer.

Let's say I quit the party or am told to quit - my support for Anwar (left) will always be the same...my message is very simple, Anwar should be the PM, period.

How I do it, within or outside the party or even in BN, it's the same. Don't ever threaten me and say I will be kicked out of the party, I don't give two hoots about this.

Which party is closest to your ideology?

I am not interested in political parties. I prefer Islamic-based NGOs because I know the world works like this: If you join an (opposition) political party, half of the Muslims will not be with you because they are with Umno.

(It would be the same if you join Umno because half of the Muslims would be with opposition parties.) So (membership) would be a disadvantage.

2 comments:

Khun Pana aka johanssm said...

Thank you to zul nordin for resigning.
As it is too bloody difficult to sack him .
Will zul nordin resigns as Bandar Kulim 's MP as well?
If zul is not resigning his MP position it will show that he an umno agent.

Anonymous said...

..syabas YB Zul, saya antara yang gembira dengan stand YB tentang Islam. Walaupun saya dan ramai lagi bencikan UMNO atas stand mereka tentang Islam, saya juga amat benci mana2 parti Melayu yang gagal bertindak utk menjamin survival Islam. Kalau UMNO atau PKR sekalipun yg tolak Islam baik secara sembunyi atau terang2ngan, kedua-duanya sama sahaja tak ada manfaat kepada Islam..akhirnya umat islam dikelirukan dengan pendirian-pendirian yg liberal dan menanamkan politik sebagai aqidah..Mereka gagal menjadikan politik sebagai pembela Islam. YB Zul, teruskanlah bersama NGO utk mendokong cita-cita Islam bersama dakwah dan tarbiyyah. Kenyataannya kita telah dikelirukan oleh "Demokrasi" ciptaan musuh-musuh Islam. Percayalah yg menjadi ejen UMNO bukan YB tapi mereka yg sama mendokong demokrasi dan liberalisma.