Share |

Friday 13 September 2013

Uthayakumar fights on after 100 days in jail

After enduring 100 days of tough prison life, Hindraf leader P Uthayakumar said he has no regret for making a stand on the rights of the Indian Malaysian community.

In a letter to the press, Uthayakumar said that after a “very difficult” trial he was sentenced to a jail term of two years and six months jail under the Sedition act.

“On this 100th day of imprisonment at Kajang Prison, I have no regrets in this my struggle as I had no regrets in my almost 17 months of imprisonment under the Internal Security Act (ISA),” Uthayakumar wrote.

He also said he welcomes all humanitarian visitors, including Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng, who has been trying to meet him in prison.

“I welcome YAB Lim Guan Eng to visit me. I urge Suhakam, the Bar Council and the Pakatan Rakyat Parliamentarian Human Rights Caucus to visit me in Kajang Prison,” Uthayakumar said.
In the long, strongly-worded letter, he details his routine and claims to have often been mistreated in prison.
gordon brown british govt meltdown 040609 01thayakumar was charged with writing a letter to the then British prime minister Gordon Brown (right), complaining about the loss of Indian community rights in Malaysia.

Uthayakumar suggested that his imprisonment, despite having already served almost two year's detention over the same matter under the Internal Security Act, was an attempt to punish him for snubbing the government.

He also revealed that prior to the 13th General Election, he was officially invited to meet Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak but had turned it down.

"If I had done so (attended the meeting) and had put my personal interest over and above the interest of the Indian poor, I would have also been made a minister if not deputy minister..." he said in an undisguised dig at his own brother.
P Waythamoorty had backed BN in the last polls after the ruling coalition pledged to implement Hindraf's blueprint to uplift the Indian community.

No comments: