Share |

Thursday 20 August 2009

1-Malaysia & my neglected daughter

Last Sunday, as I was attending the closing ceremony of a motivation course for UPSR students in Jalan P. Ramlee in my constituency, it suddenly dawned on me that she, too, will be facing the same exam early next month.

I have neglected much of her and the family since becoming a full-time Parliamentarian. Often times, I would remind myself to try to spend more quality time with her to make up. Promises of a D90 or new smart-phone can't ever replace the bonding with a growing smart kid a dad must have.

I know, she had been writing her own blog and reading my blog some four years ago.

"No offence, but you politicians are like mummy's kids, fighting over lame issues. I won't find a career in politics when I grow up," she blasted in a plain natural flair over snacks a few days ago. I was stunned.

On 1 Malaysia, she said we should tell Najib to do something different.

"Not 1 Malaysialah. He should heal Malaysia (instead), and make it a better place (for us)," she said.

Yes, you may say she has been listening too much to Michael Jackson lately.

But I am still stunned at her curt comments about the Malaysia that she is slowly beginning to understand.

It's a reality check for me. No kidding for a 12-year plus, and her generation will form part of the silent majority who can think.

No comments: