Share |

Friday 21 September 2012

Waytha: I am being bullied in my own country

Hindraf leader says he will not retract police report as the charge of him being a national threat is a serious one.

PETALING JAYA: Hindraf leader P Waythamoorthy will not retract his police report even though his travel ban has been lifted.

He was barred from travelling to the Philippines yesterday and he lodged a police report against Home Minister Hishammuddun Hussein, Inspector-General of Police Ismail Omar and Immigration director-general Alias Ahmad .

Waythamoorthy said he is a bit concerned at the way the Immigration dealt with his case.

“The authorities have been observing me for months on my activities on grounds of national security.

“They [authorities] are satisfied that I am not a threat to national security, so the travel ban on me has been lifted,” he said.

Waythamoorthy only returned to Malaysia on Aug 1 after spending about five years in exile in England. He left Malaysia three days after the historic Hindraf rally of Nov 25, 2007.

In March 2008, the Malaysian government had revoked Waythamoorthy’s passport. Following this, he applied for and was granted political asylum by the British government.

“In 2007, they saw me as a national threat up until yesterday. If I am not a threat anymore , then I think they should approve the registration of Hindraf and remove the criminal charges against 54 Hindraf members.

“I will not withdraw my police report because the allegation that I am a national threat is a serious matter.

“No matter whether it is a new or old allegation, it is still a serious allegation against me. How can a human right activist become a national threat?

“This is not right, it’s like they are bullying me. I have been made a prisoner within my own country and the allegation against me is serious an action must be taken against them,’’ he added.

No comments: