Share |

Thursday 23 September 2010

Zaid: I called him nyanyu, not nyanyuk

By FMT Staff

PETALING JAYA: PKR supreme council member Zaid Ibrahim today denied calling outgoing party deputy president Syed Husin Ali “nyanyuk” (senile).
Zaid clarified that he used the word “nyanyu” (talking gibberish) and not “nyanyuk” as reported.

“I was on the phone with the reporter and was travelling in my car. Maybe the reporter misheard me but what I had said was that he (Syed Husin) must be 'nyanyu' and could have forgotten certain things for him to make such remarks in his Merdeka Review interview,” he told FMT.

“I did not call him senile,” he stressed.

Zaid, who is contesting for the deputy president's post, had come under fire from party leaders, including his rival Azmin Ali, over his remark about Syed Husin.

Syed Husin, in his interview with Merdeka Review, had said that Zaid was not a team player and indicated that he backed vice-president Azmin as his replacement

He had further said that Zaid's role in the formulation of the Pakatan Common Policy framework was minimal and that the former law minister did not attend many meetings.

Attacks have escalated

Meanwhile, Zaid said that he was forced to respond because he felt that his contributions to the party were being belittled.

He said that he was disappointed with the lies being perpertuated about him by party leaders and assured that he was loyal to the party.
“I’m fully in support of the party’s struggle,” he said.

Zaid initially said he was not taking part in the election, but announced a reversal in a blog posting on Sept 1 following what he said were relentless attacks against him by those who assumed that he was interested in offering himself as a candidate.

He told FMT that since that announcement, the attacks had escalated.

“This must stop. I wish to warn these leaders that they must stop ridiculing me and spreading lies about me just because I offered myself for a post,” he said.

He also said that his detractors should not assume that he would not respond by exposing matters that would shame them.

No comments: