Share |

Monday 3 May 2010

Ezam, Palanivel deny senatorship is a compensation

By Rahmah Ghazali - Free malaysia Today

KUALA LUMPUR: Former Anwar Ibrahim strongman Ezam Mohd Noor and MIC deputy president and veteran leader G Palanivel have denied that their appointments as senators were a form of reward.

Both were sworn in as senators in Dewan Negara today.

Speaking to reporters after the swearing-in ceremony, Palanivel rubbished claims that his appointment was a "compensation" for giving way to newly-elected MP P Kamalanathan to contest in the recent Hulu Selangor by-election on April 25.

Palanivel, who was a four-term MP in Hulu Selangor until PKR wrested the seat in March 2008, was initially positioned by MIC president S Samy Vellu to make a comeback by contesting in the constituency following Zainal Abidin Ahmad’s death on March 25.

However, a tussle between Umno and MIC eventually led to Umno-approved Kamalanathan.

Palanivel described his appointment as a "continuing role" for him to be effective in politics.

When asked whether this would pave the way for him to be in the Cabinet, he merely described it as "speculation” and declined to comment further.

On his senator's post, he said: “I was a bit confused initially on whether to accept the senatorship.

"I was thinking of many things, then the party president (Samy Vellu) told me to accept it so I followed his directives."

He refused to comment on rumours that MIC is seeking a second Cabinet post after swinging the Indian votes towards BN in the Hulu Selangor by-election.

Senator post not a reward

Meanwhile, Ezam, the former PKR Youth chief who is now back in Umno fold, said he was never a position-oriented person.

"I don't go for any positions because I am speaking based on my principles.

“Even when I was an opposition leader, I only contested once in 1999 (under Keadilan ticket). I could not contest in 2004 because I revealed the corruption documents (on Umno)," said Ezam after his appointment as senator.

Claiming to have received many offers by various political parties to contest in "safe seats" in the 2008 general election, Ezam said he had to reject them as he wanted to remain in Gerak, an anti-corruption non-governmental organisation.

"I believe corruption is the main enemy of the people. I am not someone who would do something for position. For me, this position is more than enough to work even more effectively," he said.

On his stand against Official Secrets Act (OSA) and Internal Security Act (ISA) -- which put him behind bars during his “reformasi” days -- Ezam said his principles will not change with his newfound clout.

"People say it (the senatorship) is a reward, but I remind them that I have put a lot in this struggle as I am the only Malaysian who has gone to jail for fighting against corruption.

"It is not a reward... as I am still much committed to reform. I have not backed down on my principles and my beliefs in (my fight against) OSA and ISA," he said.

In an immediate reaction, PAS vice-president Mahfuz Omar sarcastically said he sympathised his friends in Umno who had struggled for a long time but were not chosen to be senators.

"But I want to tell them the method to get is to lawan taukeh (go against your boss). So you have to fight against your party first. That way you could become a senator," he said, in an apparent reference to a fallout Ezam had with Anwar.

Meanwhile, PKR deputy president Syed Husin Ali declined to refused to comment on the matter.

1 comment:

Khun Pana aka johanssm said...

"I am speaking based on my principles " - ezam kotak

Mana itu kotak ? For years he said he have the 6 kotak , today he is saying about principles.
6Kotak or 6Kotek ?