Share |

Thursday 3 September 2009

Ah, Moorthy, tis music to my ears!

By Haris Ibrahim

“The vigil will help remind us, as Malaysians, that we are all equal to one another, no more, no less”
– Waythamoorthy, as reported in Malaysiakini today.

Rajan had sent in a comment to this blog to ask if I would attend a Hindraf organised candle light vigil on 5th September.

I had responded to inquire which Hindraf was organising the vigil; the Hindraf for all marginalised anak Bangsa Malaysia or the Hindraf that only championed the cause of the marginalised anak Bangsa Malaysia of Indian origin?

I had then obviously not yet seen the Malaysiakini report, for if I had, I would not have posed the query.

I have been having frequent talks with Moorthy by phone and have been urging him to take a leap of faith and, as the leader of Hindraf, to join hands with other initiatives in civil society and collectively, fight for all marginalised anak Bangsa Malaysia.

I read Moorthy’s call as reported in Malaysiakini today as just that.

“Hindraf calls upon all peace-loving Malaysians, irrespective of colour, creed and race, and from all walks of life, to come together and join hands at the candlelight solidarity vigil…Let’s show the small groups of extremists everywhere that we are not cowed or intimidated by anyone…We, the majority, must not allow anyone to create a climate of fear and public insecurity. Our children and grandchildren are looking to us for leadership in these trying times.”

Moorthy, I hear your call and I thank you for the same.

Rajan, see you on the 5th.

No comments: