Share |

Thursday 19 September 2019

Lawyer Balwant Singh Sidhu speaks his mind on Mahathir

Balwant Singh Sidhu commented on Mahathir's statement

I am disgusted by this constant racism and feel obliged to speak up. I take it as a personal insult that I was 'allowed' to become a lawyer. On the contrary, I ...saved my own money and went to England. I did not get a scholarship or a study loan. I was not even allowed to use the UITM library, as I was told it was only for Malays. But I did not get offended. I took it as a challenge, as my religion forbids me to beg.

I can safely say that most of the Sikh lawyers in this country of my generation are children of soldiers and policemen. Nobody 'allowed' us anything. We worked hard and owe nothing to anyone. Our parents left rich farmlands in the Punjab in search of adventure. They agreed to accept Malayan citizenship because they honestly believed they would be treated as equal citizens and their contributions to nation building recognized.

So, Mahathir, speak for yourself. If some Malays are poor today, it is because of corruption, cronyism and nepotism. If some non Malays are professional, it because of hard work.

Mahathir should stop his stupid and insensitive remarks and contribute to peace and harmony in the country in his twilight years. I am deeply offended that after my father and his younger brother served so many years in the police force and another uncle fought the communists in the jungles, I have to put up with such insensitive and callous remarks, as if suggesting I should be grateful.

If at all, people like Mahathir should be grateful that despite not being of Malay stock, they have benefitted immensely from being pseudo Malays. Please don't use us as political fodder. We are a proud race and have never expected or received any handouts. Yet one third of the names on the national monument are Sikhs.

If you have nothing to contribute to promote racial and religious harmony, please spend your last days in prayer.

7 comments:

LimKopi said...

You really speak the mind of many. It is true that Mahathir is a de facto pseudo Malay. I don't believe he cares a bit about this country. He entrenched corruption in this country and allowed so many businesses to be monopolised or controlled by oligopolists. He condemned others to be lazy, conveniently forgets how his offspring built up their billions dollars business empires. The longer this useless old man stays in power, the poorer this country will be.

Nicholas N Chin said...

No more chavism if you want the nation of equal Malaysians who will together this country a great nation. Every great statesman knows this simple logic.

Unknown said...

Excellent statement from Mr Balwant Singh Bhai.

Conscience said...

Wahai anak ku Mahathir; Insaf lah
Kamu sebelum kamu diinsafi.....Sedarlah kamu sebelum kamu disedari.....I think this is the call from his parents grave to him ......n so does many of us ....dont wait until people start spitting u down then it will be a disgrace n too late.Go fly kites with your grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

Marina Mahathir should be ashamed, he may have been a good father to her but he is an oppotunist ashamed of his ancestry and now Malaysians from all walks of life are disgusted and hold him in contempt. Poor Marina.

Unknown said...

Bravo, Mr Singh.

Anonymous said...

Bravo Mr Balwant Singh. Well said.