Share |

Saturday 21 February 2015

Pereira told to allege conspiracy in Anwar’s case?

A report has surfaced on how Jude Pereira, the investigating officer in the Sodomy II case, had been asked to make a public statement alleging a conspiracy against Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim.

Those mentioned to be involved were MyWatch chairperson R Sri Sanjeevan and former inspector-general of police Musa Hassan, who once served as the crime watchdog’s patron.

Speaking to Malaysiakini, Musa confirmed that he had met Pereira just before the last general election in 2013 at the former police chief’s house in Petaling Jaya.

The former police chief said he was later informed that the deputy superintendent (DSP) had been asked to make a press statement in Anwar's favour.

However, he denied asking the DSP if there was a conspiracy in the opposition leader's case as alleged in the article published by Malaysia Today blog, which quoted Pereira.

"We talked about old times and regarding how Pereira wanted to be a practicing lawyer. I also told him that Sanjeevan wanted to meet him.

"Pereira later told me that he met Sanjeevan and the latter asked him to issue a press release about there being a conspiracy against Anwar," he added.

Musa said when Pereira told him that he refused to do so, he had commended the police officer for making a stand.

The former IGP also revealed that he parted ways with Sanjeevan because the latter was too involved in politics.

"I told him to quit politics and focus on the NGO. He didn't do it, so I left (MyWatch)," he said.

Responding to a question, Musa confirmed that Sanjeevan was close to Anwar. Contacted later, Sanjeevan declined to comment on the matter.

Last Tuesday, Anwar was convicted of sodomising his former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan and sentenced to five years' jail.

In the Malaysia Today article, Pereira's alleged handwritten account on his meeting with Sanjeevan stated that he was promised to be “taken care of” should Pakatan Rakyat win the election and that he also spoke to Anwar on the phone.

The full version reads:

“I met Sanjeevan at the coffee house within the lobby of PJ Hilton. He was sitting at a table and looked preoccupied with some documents. As I got acquainted with him, he told me that he was assisting DSAI (Anwar) in the coming general election, and that it was going to be a sure win for PKR.

“He informed me that DSAI was campaigning in Ipoh at the moment. Sanjeevan was very direct. He asked me whether I would make a press statement to say that there was conspiracy in my investigations against DSAI. He told me that I would be taken care of should PKR win.”

“I told Sanjeevan that I could not make such a statement, as my investigations showed no conspiracy. Then he asked me whether I can just say that there was government interference during investigations, to which I responded in the negative too.

“I then suggested that if they wanted me to help out in any way, at best I could say that I respected the High Court’s decision to acquit DSAI and wished him well. Sanjeevan then proceeded to call DSAI with his hand phone and informed DSAI that I was there with him. He then gave the phone to me, requesting that I talk to DSAI.

“I just wished DSAI well for the elections and told him that I was not able to say what Sanjeevan had wanted me to say, but that I would just mention that I respected the Courts decision in his (DSAI’s) case. DSAI replied that it was alright and good enough for me to say just that.”

“Sanjeevan than suggested that he would write down something mild for me to say to the press in support of DSAI, and that he would call the press in the morning should I agree. He then asked me to go to a new hotel in KL Central and meet a person who would show me what he had written on my behalf, which I was to give to the press the next morning.

“Sanjeevan also told me that I would be well protected in the hotel and that I can stay at the hotel for the night, all on the house. Just out of curiosity I decided to go and see how far it is going to go.

“I reached the new hotel at KL Central at about 8 pm. At the lobby, I met a bearded Indian Muslim man and another person sitting at a table. I introduced myself and said that I was with Sanjeevan earlier, and that I was to see them. They told me that they were assisting DSAI in the elections.

“The bearded man had already drafted a letter and asked me to read it, and that if I had agreed to it, they would call the press in the morning. I was completely shocked after reading a passage of about 100 words, which said that I was the Investigation Officer and that DSAI was innocent and was charged unreasonably, with evidence fabricated against him.

“The passage made me look like a fool and would have thrown my integrity down the drain after all my hard work. I refused to subscribe to their request and just walked away from the hotel.

“I drove back to my house in Ipoh the very same night, regretting that I had ever met Sanjeevan and his friends, who intended to exploit me for their needs. Later on that same day, TS Musa texted me and asked me how my meeting went.

“When I told him what had happened, he texted me in reply saying that I did the right thing in safeguarding my integrity.”

No comments: