Share |

Tuesday 26 August 2014

Dr M, I respect you but you are OUTDATED

I was disappointed to read about Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s criticism of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Abdul Razak’s leadership.

Dr Mahathir is entitled to express his views, but contrary to his argument, such a move only weakens Umno and Barisan Nasional.

I have tremendous respect for the former prime minister though I may not agree with all the decisions made during his 22 years in office.

Similarly, I have tremendous respect for Datuk Seri Najib as well.

As rightfully pointed out by Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, every leader has his or her era.

As also stated by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, Dr Mahathir’s era was before the information explosion – there was no Facebook, blogs, Twitter and smartphones.

During Dr Mahathir’s era, the opposition was also small in number and their voices rarely heard, with their views not appearing in the mainstream media.

And so it was easier for Dr Mahathir to govern this country.

But it is a different ball game now: information travels at lightning speed, people are more informed and voters demand that their government delivers the goods. The opposition has a sizeable presence and even controls several states.

I dare say that even a leader of Dr Mahathir’s calibre would find it a difficult task to administer the state under these circumstances.

And so he must understand that times have changed, and BN cannot hold on to the old order any longer. We must move forward or be left behind.

As for repealing the Internal Security and Emergency Ordinance, I believe the prime minister has taken a step in the right direction in further democratising this nation.

In the past, we often heard of how the ISA was abused to silent dissenters and incarcerate activists and opposition politicians, therefore running astray of its original aim of safeguarding national security.

I disagree with Dr Mahathir that Najib is “not brave”. Jailing political opponents and those with different views is not a sign of courage. Repealing the ISA is.

I also find it disappointing that Dr Mahathir chose to criticise the widening gap between the races and people of different faiths under Najib’s administration when the former PM is himself the patron of Perkasa, which seems bent on tearing this nation apart.

As for the Malaysian Indian community, I wish to point out that there has been much improvement since Najib took over: the granting of identity cards, the RM540 million for Tamil schools and others. He also set up the Cabinet Committee on Indian Affairs, which he personally chairs.

Granted, there is still much to do, but the fact is: we now have a prime minister who is willing to listen and act.

So my request to Dr Mahathir and his supporters is this: with all due respect sir, if you are not part of the solution, please don’t be a part of the problem.

I say this not because I do not love my leaders, both past and present. I say this because I love my country and BN more.

Vell Paari is an MIC member and the son of MIC former president S Samy Vellu. This story was previously published under the title 'Disappointed with Dr M’s criticism.

Source: http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/

No comments: