Share |

Wednesday 20 November 2013

MIC div chief: I’m still in the veep race

Johor Baru MIC division chief S Balakrishnan says he will not pull out from the vice-presidential race even if he is promised the state chief post.

PETALING JAYA: MIC vice-president aspirant S Balakrishnan said today he is not pulling out of the race despite speculation that he has been offered the Johor MIC chief post for staying away from the contest.

“There is no compromise and I will contest,” he told FMT when contacted.

Balakrishnan is one of eight candidates fighting for the three vice-president posts in party polls on Nov 30.

Others in the race are incumbents M Saravanan and SK Devamany, former youth chiefs SA Vickneswaran and T Mohan, party treasurer-general Jaspal Singh, former vice-president S Sothinathan and Bukit Bintang division leader James Selvarajah.

Since nominations on Nov 16, speculation is rife that a top party leader had offered the Johor MIC chief post to Balakrishnan if he withdrew from the race.

“I have heard about it, but it is not true. I do not see any reason to pull out as my chance of winning is bright.

“I am ready to contribute to the party and I am serious in my campaigns,” said the Johor Baru MIC division chief.

This is Balakrishnan’s second attempt for the post with the first in 2009, when he came in fourth.

At the 2009 party polls, Balakrishnan came in fourth behind Dr S Subramaniam (1,260 votes), SK Devamany (1,122 votes) and M Saravanan(1,030 votes). He managed a respectable 471 votes. Seven candidates contested the veep race then.

“Most of the delegates who voted in 2009 have been retained and I feel my chances are brighter this time,” he added.

Today is the last day for candidates to withdraw from contesting.

No comments: