Share |

Thursday 19 September 2013

Where is my BR1M, asks bedridden man

Despite having submitted two applications, M Balakrishnan is denied BR1M financial aid despite being jobless for 12 years.

SUBANG: M Balakrishnan, 38, who had been bedridden for 12 years, was denied the Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BRIM) financial assistance, although he was eligible for the aid.

“I was a lorry driver but I met with an accident while riding my motorcycle more than a decade ago. It left my spine permanently damaged, leaving me paralysed from waist down,” he told FMT in an interview at his home in Subang.

Since the accident, Balakrishnan had been unemployed and was dependent on a RM300 per month welfare aid.

Touching on the BR1M, Balakrishnan said he made an application for the yearly financial aid scheme in 2011 but was rejected without him knowing the reason.

“After making an application, two government officials came to my place to get some details such as who is supporting me and whether I am also getting aid from others.

“After taking my details, they took off. After some checks by my family members, they found that I was deemed ineligible to receive BR1M,” he claimed.

Undeterred, Balakrishnan made a second application last year and the officers came again.

“They told me that my application for the previous year was rejected as there were others who deserved it more than I did.

“They asked me the same questions as the previous year’s and again, my application was rejected,” said Balakrishnan.

Balakrishnan was obviously upset as it did not make sense for the government to reject his application as he was unemployed and living on aid.

“BRIM was given to almost everyone I know. Even my working friends received it but I have been denied the assistance despite being bedridden,” he said.

Medical expenses

Apart from the monthy welfare aid, Balakrihnan said he receives small financial assistance from his two siblings and his 64-year-old mother.

“Once, I received funds from MIC to purchase a wheelchair to move about and a bed for home use. That’s about it. My siblings have been very helpful as they have been paying my medical bills,” he said.

Balakrishnan urged the government to reconsider giving him BR1M as he needed the funds to pay for some of his basic medical expenses.

“Medicines are not cheap these days and I cannot depend on my siblings to pay for everything.

“Besides, BRIM is supposedly to help the poor and underprivileged. I don’t understand why I am being denied the financial help,” a tearful Balakrishnan said.

No comments: