Share |

Saturday 13 April 2013

An ex-DAP veteran as independent in Pandamaran

A former DAP veteran wants to contest the Pandamaran state assembly seat in Selangor at the upcoming general election, as an independent candidate

KLANG: AL Deliganu, a former DAP member who claims that the opposition party was racist in nature, wants to contest the Pandamaran state constituency in Selangor at the upcoming general election.

The 64-year-old was expelled from DAP in 2010 after being declared a bankrupt.

“A conman used my identification card and before I even knew it I became insolvent and my religion was classified as Muslim. Now, though the insolvency matter has been cleared by the Perak High Court in 2011, DAP hasn’t responded to me,” he told FMT when contacted.

Deliganu said he received a letter on June 2010 informing him that he was sacked from the party for being an insolvent.

Despite his explanation and numerous letters outlining his position, the party had chosen to ignore his explanation, he claimed.

He believes that he was sidelined by the party due to racial reasons.

“DAP is a Chinese party and Indians work so hard for the party. However, we are still being sidelined. Lim Guan Eng being the DAP secretary-general never responded to me although I tried contacting him many times,” he added.

He said sidelining of Indian candidates by the DAP has forced him to put in his nomination to contest the state seat in this election.

“I believe that I can serve the people better than the incumbent for the seat,” he added.

Deliganu contested for the state seat in 1990 but lost narrowly.

The father of five children said: “All my children are grown-ups and am without any family commitment, I can now serve my constituency freely.”.

He is also a managing director of Mastrade Ventures Sdn Bhd and financing his campaign with his own funds.

“Vote for me, give me a chance and I will be your servant”, he pledged to the voters.

In the 2008 election, DAP’s Ronnie Liu Thian Khiew won Pandamaran by a 5,398 vote majority. The seat with 25,192 voters is made up of 59% Chinese voters, 25% Malays and 15% Indians.

Deliganu claimed that his track record was far better than the incumbent and this will be his advantage should the incumbent seeks another term in the same seat.

“Ronnie Liew neglected his voters and never kept his promises to the people of Pandamaran”, added Deliganu.

No comments: