Share |

Saturday 6 October 2012

Evicted, but he vows to fight on

The other day I told my wife: If I die from this... because I'm sure those people are going to get me into an accident or shoot me... I want to give this house to charity, to those who need it.'

PETALING JAYA: The dreaded moment came for A Muthukrishnan on Tuesday without warning.

Awoken from his sleep by his wife in the afternoon, the 44-year-old former mutton seller’s heart sank when he saw some 30 men outside his gate, together with several cars and two big lorries.

Among them were policemen, lawyers, and moneylenders: they had come to chase him out of his home.

“My wife told me something was happening outside and I walked to my gate to see. And when I saw so many of them, I was afraid, confused, I asked my daughters to go back inside,” the father of three recounted to FMT.

Muthukrishnan knew this day would come, but didn’t expect it to be done so cruelly.

On Sept 1, FMT had reported about Muthukrishnan’s plight of being conned by licensed moneylenders into signing away his double-storey house in Selayang Baru.

He had also blamed Standard Chartered bank when it allegedly failed to properly inform him and to protect him from having his house taken away wrongfully.

The situation was all the more tragic as it had also left him officially a disabled man when he was one day set upon by men with parangs, believed to be sent by the same moneylenders.

He was now without a right thumb, and had limited use of both hands. For the past few years, his business also suffered as his wife had to take over from him due to his disability.

Muthukrishnan had sought help from many parties and thought that he could prolong losing his house or, even change the outcome. He had hoped that he could stop Tuesday from happening, as the matter was still undecided at the courts, but to no avail.

“There was a hearing on Monday but the moneylenders [defendants] didn’t turn up. Instead, they turned up at my house with a bailiff the next day. They didn’t even serve any documents, or court orders,” he said.

But he had no choice but to comply with the group’s demands as he feared for his family’s safety.

“They acted quite rough. They said they didn’t care, and that they would pull us out if they had to. And that they would trash my house if I didn’t come out. I begged. Asked them to come in a few days but they didn’t budge.

“What could I do? You want to fight with all of them? In my heart, I just prayed that they did not disturb my daughters,” said Muthukrishnan, who only managed to pack some clothes before the group came in with the locks.

His house was then sealed with several padlocks and chains on all sides.

“There were people crowding around, and I felt embarrassed for my children. I didn’t do anything wrong, but what would people think when they see us being chased out like that?”

Continue to highlight the case

Today, Muthukrishnan is staying together with his wife at his mother’s house. His son, 20, goes to work from his brother’s house and his two daughters go to school from his sister’s place.

“I’ve lost everything. The use of my hands. My job. And now finally my home. I can’t drive or go anywhere without depending on anyone. Now my children are scattered all over,” he added.

He said that for the past few days, he did not cry in front of his wife and daughters, but wept inside.

“I asked my children to be patient, not to cry, and don’t think about this too much. I wanted them to study hard for their upcoming exams,” said Muthukrishnan.

He said he felt betrayed by the many institutions supposed to help and protect him.

“It’s very sad. The government does not support the good guys at all. Not only was I cheated by these people, but the bank, Bank Negara, the police, Money Lenders’ Association, Bar Council, even the courts seem to be conspiring against me.

“If any one of this people, like the police, helped me in the beginning, it would not have come to this stage,” he said, adding that only the Consumers Tribunal helped him by providing a lawyer.

Asked what he planned to do now, Muthukrishnan could only shake his head.

“What can I do?

“On Wednesday, I went back to get my IC, my wallet, and more clothes for my wife. There is still so much inside I haven’t taken out because they don’t let me. I had to go to the back to feed my dog through the gates,” he said.

However, Muthukrishnan said that he would continue to highlight his case.

“This is not only about me, but those other people who are afraid of standing up and complaining about such issues. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has been wronged this way. But I don’t care anymore, what is the worse they can do to me?

“But the government and all other agencies I’ve complained to don’t take action. They think that I am bad just because I took loans, but I was, and am, a taxpayer. Before this, I donated to charity when I could. Now I’m the one who needs charity.

“The other day I told my wife: If I die from this… because I’m sure those people are going to get me into an accident or shoot me… I want to give this house to charity, to those who need it,” he added.

No comments: