Share |

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Police beat me up, says Aminulrasyid's friend

Azamuddin Omar, the star witness in the Aminulrasyid shooting trial, today claimed that he was assaulted by police officers during the incident when his childhood friend was killed by a bullet to the head.

He said after their white Proton Iswara crashed into a wall, he tumbled out of the car window on the passenger side and fell into a ditch.

"I was confused at the time. I was thinking should I surrender or should I run away. Then I felt a few police officers grab me and drag me up onto the road," he said during the examination-in-chief by deputy public prosecutor Idham Abdul Ghani at the Shah Alam Sessions Court.

NONE"I decided to continue lying on the road and surrender. Then a police officer kicked me in the head and they started hitting me. I think there were two or three police officers."

Azamuddin (left) said however that he managed to flee his captors and ran as fast as his legs could carry him.

"I think two of them started chasing me, but I think a third was getting ready to shoot me because I heard him tell me to stop on the count of three.

"I don't know if he was going to shoot me, because just as he was going to reach 'three', another police car pulled up behind me and blocked his view," he said of his escape.

'I thought Aminulrasyid was joking'

Prior to his alleged assault by the police officers, Azamuddin said he estimated that they had let loose a hail of at least 12 bullets as two police squad cars chased down the car driven by Aminulrasyid.
NONEAnd it was on the last bend before they hit the wall when Azamuddin saw Aminulrasyid (right) slumped on the steering wheel.
"I thought he was playing a joke, so I shook him to get him to stop fooling around.
"That's when his head fell into my lap and I noticed there was a hole on the back of his head.
"I think there was blood in the hole," he told the Shah Alam Sessions court.
Earlier, Azamuddin described in detail how his night out with Aminulrasyid started as merely a rare outing amongst friends as the former's father almost never gave him permission to go out at night.
He said the chaos started when they decided to take a shortcut from Section 11 to Section 7, where they had intended to help a friend of a friend, fix a flat motorcycle tyre.
Panic on top of panic
It was during the shortcut that their fatal misadventure began, when Aminulrasyid, who was driving his sister's car, accidentally grazed a parked car near the Ali Corner restaurant in Section 7.
Azamuddin said the fender bender spooked Aminulrasyid, who refused to get out of the car and decided to simply go straight home and return the car to this sister.
NONEHowever, when Aminulrasyid saw a bunch of motorcycles trailing them, he panicked and started speeding up.
The situation only got worse when they realised later in the chase that one of the motorcyclists had fallen down, prompting Aminulrasyid to floor the accelerator and run a few red lights, said Azamuddin.
It was along this stretch that their car sped past one of the two squad cars that was involved in their three-car chase, ending in Aminulrasyid's death.
Korporal Jenain Subi (left), 48, is charged with culpable homicide for allegedly killing Aminulrasyid between 1.10am and 2am on April 26.
He faces a fine and a maximum of 30 years in jail if found guilty.
The trial resumes on Wednesday morning, with the prosecution expected to continue its probe into Azamuddin's testimony.

No comments: