Share |

Monday 8 November 2010

Zaid rebrands himself as a 'one-man band'

By Stephanie Sta Maria - Free Malaysia Today

KUALA LUMPUR: Declaring himself as an “one-man band”, Zaid Ibrahim has pledged his dedication to championing Pakatan Rakyat's cause now that he is no longer embroiled in the battle for PKR number two.

The PKR supreme council member announced his decision to withdraw from the deputy presidency race this morning, citing dissatisfaction over the handling of alleged discrepancies in the election process. He also said that he has resigned from all his party posts.

When probed about his future plans, a tired-sounding Zaid said that he would continue backing the opposition coalition but clarified that he would only champion what “I think Pakatan should be”.

“Pakatan should be more progressive on issues and policies,” he told FMT. “So I will speak my views on that. In fact, I will carry on doing exactly what I have always been doing – giving talks on issues that are important to the people.”

“The only difference is that I will no longer be doing it in an official capacity. I have quit my party posts because I have lost confidence in the party leaders and don't want to be part of that leadership anymore.”

The PKR Federal Territories chief added that while party issues would not be a focus of his future speeches, he would nevertheless give his opinions if asked.

“I won't go out of my way to touch on party issues, that is not my intention,” he said. “But if people ask for my opinion on PKR, (de facto leader) Anwar Ibrahim or even (Prime Minister) Najib (Tun Razak), then I will give it to them. I have always spoken my mind and that will not change.”

Zaid is noted for openly speaking out against any party policies that he disagrees with, which has drawn him strong criticism from the top leadership.

Solo role

“I am a one-man band now,” he said ruefully. “But there is also a place for people like that, you know. I'm like those street musicians – buskers – who play alone.”

Despite this new solo role that he has thrust upon himself, Zaid believed that he would still be able to get his message across effectively.

“People are issues-oriented and will listen to someone who is listening to them and championing their cause,” he asserted.

While he admitted that people were now calling him “Mr Quitter”, he brushed aside any negative impact that the moniker would have on his future.

“It doesn't affect me in any way,” he said. “I have been successful in everything I have done in life and there is no reason why I will not be successful now.”

Zaid also reiterated his refusal to submit an official quit notice to the party. Earlier today, PKR secretary-general Saifuddin Nasution said that Zaid is still in the race as the party had yet to receive an official withdrawal notification from him.

But Zaid said that his announcement via his blog was sufficient.

“There is no need to submit an official notice to a party that has no respect for procedure,” he said. “As far as I am concerned, I am out of the race. If they want to put my name on the ballot paper, it's up to them.”

At the time of his withdrawal, Zaid was in second place with 3,973 votes. Azmin Ali led with 6,502 votes and Mustaffa Kamil Ayub was behind with 1, 208 votes.

No comments: