Share |

Saturday 6 November 2010

'Galas win shows rakyat accepting 1Malaysia'

By Teoh El Sen - Free Malaysia Today

GUA MUSANG: The Barisan Nasional victory in the Galas by-election shows that the rakyat have begun to accept the policies of the BN government, including the increasingly popular "1 Malaysia" concept.

Kelantan Umno chief and Galas state by-election deputy director Mustapa Mohamed said the win also showed that the people favoured moderate values in a political party.

"This shows that the people are accepting the government policies, including its economic and government transformation programmes and the 1Malaysia concept,” he said.

"It is clear that the people are now leaning towards moderation. They don't like people who are rough, arrogant and indulge in baseless allegations,” said Mustapa, who is International Trade and Industry Minister.

However, he stopped short of saying that the victory would mean that the BN was ready to retake Kelantan.

"I don't like to be eager or greedy, or be blind to reality. This is not our culture... But I can say that the win is a sign that the Kelantanese have begun to accept us," he said.

"We are seeing a revival not only in Galas but also on the national stage. It is important that we do not disappoint the people,” he said.

Mustapa said that the 1,190-vote majority was unexpected.

"We expected a slim win. Such a huge majority was unexpected," he said.

He thanked all the voters for supporting the BN.

Meanwhile, freshly-minted Galas state assemblyman Abdul Aziz Yusoff thanked Allah, the voters and the BN for the victory.

"I am thankful to God and all the voters in Galas who have put their trust in me. I also thank Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak, his deputy Muhyiddin Yassin, Mustapa, and Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah,” he said.

"I want to stress that this is not my success but a victory for the Galas people."

Asked what would be his first duty, he said: "I will try to meet all the voters to thank them. I will try my very best to settle problems in Galas. I promise to serve to the best of my abilities."

No comments: