Share |

Sunday 21 March 2010

IGP: 'Third party' intervening in the police force - Malaysiakini

Inspector General of Police (IGP) Musa Hassan has revealed the presence of a 'third party' that is making demands on the police force.

In an interview published in Utusan Malaysia's Sunday edition Mingguan Malaysia today, Musa said the third party could be “pihak politik” (politicians) or “orang-orang tertentu" (certain individuals).

According to him, the efforts at putting pressure on the Royal Malaysian Police Force (RMP) may derive from being uncomfortable with orders that he had given.

NONE“So there have been some orders issued directly to officers under me without the knowledge of the top management (of the police force),” said Musa (left) in Mingguan Malaysia.

“To me, this is trend is an erroneous one, because in the police force, there are certain (rules pertaining to) commands and supervision.

“The only one allowed to issue orders is the IGP, according to the laws,” said Musa, stressing that Section 4 of the Police Act 1957 states that all actions and supervision falls under the IGP.

“If there is a third party trying to intervene, it could ruin the police. Because at this time, (police) personnel are confused (as to who to obey) as there are other (sources of) authority that are issuing them orders,” he asserted.

'Somebody wants me to leave already'

Musa clarified that if a person in authority gave orders, then it is that person is responsible for issuing those orders, and legal action can be taken against the person in question.

“But if there is a third party giving orders and yet we do not know who they are, then if (police) officers are doing things wrong, then my officers will become victims.

"This is because kesalahan yang dilakukan, mengikut arahan yang tidak sepatutnya (the offense is following those orders that should not have been issued).

NONE“If those who issued the orders then deny that they were behind the directives, then this will adversely affect the police force,” he added.

On that matter, Musa said he hoped such interference would stop, as the administration of police matters, action and operations being carried out are done under the authority of the IGP and other top officers.

Asked to comment on the China Press report that claimed he had tendered his resignation, Musa said he was perplexed and surprised as to why the report emerged.

“Something that I had not done, I was said to have done. It is as if some quarters want to rush me into leaving this position (as IGP).

"We know when we are supposed to go, so there is no need to speed up the process. But if someone does want to speed up that process, I need to receive the order from the government to retire early.

"If that is the case, I will retire (early). That's all I can say. But on the part of the government, nothing has happened,” he said.

Asked about claims that a particular minister was not quite on the same page as he, Musa said: “I don't know. I am only carrying out my duties. Whether somebody likes or does not like the way I carry out my tasks, I don't know.”

Asked whether the issue would adversely affect the police force, Musa said: “I feel it will.”

“When a leader is seen as being susceptible to diperkotak-katikkan (manipulation), then the lower ranks will feel the same way,” he said, adding that some had sent him SMSes asking how this could occur.

“I don't know how to answer them. So I tell my officers to be patient. I also understand, I will be retiring this September,” he added.

No comments: