Share |

Friday 12 February 2010

Who speaks for Indian patriots and pioneers like Dr.Abraham.

Dear Naragan,

It will not come as a surprise especially to you that NONE of the media were willing to post this response on the pioneering role of Indian Doctors.

I am therefore appealing to you to do this on my behalf.

It does seem a bit personal BUT we are talking about poor helpless leper patients whom my Dad had to help,-bringing my brother (aged 15) and myself (aged 12) along with him.

“The article on the pioneering role of Malaysian Indian Doctors “serves as a timely stark reminder of how the nation has benefited from their contribution (M’kini 5/2). While it must be acknowledged that many other Malaysian doctors have also made invaluable contributions, it has to be said that the former, as pioneers, had to show extraordinary commitment, often under difficult and trying circumstances.

I crave the indulgence of sharing the experiences of the doctors in my family,my late brother Sam and especially my Dad. Although this would seem ‘personal’, nonetheless, it recognizes that “going the extra mile” transcends what is demanded under normal medical practice and should therefore rightfully be brought to the attention of readers. More especially this most certainly also plays a pivotal role not only in care and commitment but especially for nation-building.

In this connection,the pioneering role of seeking local medication for leprosy patients at the Sungei Buloh Settlement during the early years of the Japanese Occupation was something that Dr Ryree, (the world renowned expatriate Expert ) and my father worked on tirelessly. However it soon became clear that this could only be minimal and what was most needed by patients therefore were drugs such as opium to alleviate their suffering.

While the Japanese were willing to supply limited amounts of the drug,this was conditional on the Doctors taking delivery from KL. Dr Che Lah the only other doctor was reluctant to do this because it meant using the bicycle for a distance of 30 miles (to and fro). Worse, was the danger of being robbed by “bandits” who were themselves looking for opium.

Finally my Father had to do this himself and each time was accompanied by my brother Sam and myself (on a boy’s bicycle) along with a Sikh watchman (without turban) so that our trips might be passed off as family outings!

My Dad himself was a diabetic patient and very sadly suffered a heart attack and passed away in the course of duty after the completion of these trips.

Dr Collin Abraham

No comments: