Share |

Tuesday 1 September 2009

Juana wants to sit for SPM but has no birth cert

By Sarban Singh,

SEREMBAN: Seventeen-year-old Juana John-son has only one wish — to be allowed to sit for the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia examination in November.
Juana, who aspires to be a graphic designer, has not been attending school since early August after being told by a teacher that she could not take the exam.
The reason — her parents have not been registered as Malaysians at birth.
Victim of circumstance: Andrew (left) asking Gabriel some questions pertaining to Juana’s birth certificate in Seremban Sunday.
Her father, Gabriel Johnson, 55, who is a security guard and mother Mariah Nathan, 50, who is a housewife, are, however, hopeful that the authorities would look into their plight and allow Juana to sit for the exam.
Gabriel, who was born in Batu Arang, Selangor, said he never had a birth certificate as he was separated from his family when he was six.
“I remember taking the train to Penang with another family,” he recalled.
“When I reached Penang, I stayed at the St Joseph’s Church and worked as an odd-job worker.
“When I was in my teens, I tried to apply for my identity card several times but I couldn’t as I had no supporting documents,” he said, adding that he only returned to Baru Arang when he was in his late 20s. He never found his parents.
Mariah, who was born in Jalan Klang Lama, here, shares a similar story.
“I never knew who my parents were and I was raised by my grandmother,” she said.
“When I was 11, I moved to Klang where I worked as a maid for a Chinese family.
“I have only one child and I do not want her to pay for my misfortune.”
Mariah is hopeful that the Education Ministry would look into Juana’s plight.
“She is a good student and is very disciplined. My husband and I have been victims of circumstances but I hope the authorities would help us,” she added.
Malaysian Public Service Society president Andrew Raju, who accompanied the family to The Star office here, said what was most important was that Juana was not a foreigner.
“She was born in Malaysia and so were her parents,” he said.
“It was the mistake of their elders not to register their births and Juana should not be the victim of it.”

No comments: