Share |

Thursday 27 August 2009

Chua Soi Lek sexpelled; is party image damaged by sexploits, or decades of being an Umno lapdog?

by Nathaniel Tan

I don’t follow MCA politics closely. Not so much because it’s generally boring (oh, and it is), but because I find it largely irrelevant.

Seeing that I’m up at this hour though, it’s a good a subject as any to blog about. One of my favourite parts of Chua Soi Lek’s sacking:

At a press conference at 12.15am at the party headquarters, MCA president Ong Tee Keat announced that the presidential council had endorsed the recommendation of the party’s disciplinary committee to sack Chua over the matter.

“We did so with a heavy heart after giving much consideration to the damage inflicted upon the party image, brought about by the sex scandal featured in the DVD.

“This decision has been made in the best interest of the party,” said Ong, reading from a prepared text after a marathon five-hour meeting.

O_o yeah? Well I’m no big fan of Chua Soi Lek, but it looks like the decision was made more in the best interest of Ong Tee Keat.

The sex scandal featured in the DVD inflicted heavy damage on the party image?

Laughable.

MCA’s party image has been damaged by decades of irrelevance, not a sex scandal. It is damaged by being Umno lapdogs for all this time, and by being ethnocentric in an age where no one else in the world would so blatantly organise politics along racial lines.

Our friend Ong seems to be embattled on quite a few fronts here I see. And what next for Chua Soi Lek? Who knows. But I wouldn’t appeal the decision if I were him.

I will agree with him on this point though - the presidential council certainly seems to be ignoring the democratic wishes of their own party members. If the majority truly believed Chua had done such intense damage to the party, there’s no chance in hell he would’ve won the Deputy Presidency.

On that note, you reckon if an election were held in Pandan today, Ong Tee Keat would retain his seat? I’m not so very sure.

Ah well. I’m not ignorant to our own problems. Check out Zul Nordin :P Sigh, if still want to talk about Malay unity (which I fully support, in tandem with Malaysian unity - against corruption and racism), you knowla which party you should leave PKR to join.

I was once told that one good thing about keeping the Zul Nordin thing under wraps is that forcing the issue may bring all sorts of extremists out of the woodwork.

Well, I concur that there is no reason to have religious et al debates that create division unnecessarily; that said, I agree with Haris that Zul is now clearly showing no regard for the party leadership, and espousing political (and not by any stretch of the imagination, religious) principles that go against the core of what PKR stands for.

No comments: