Share |

Sunday 12 July 2009

MIC youth claims ritual to join 'brotherhood' - Malaysiakini

An MIC Youth leader from Pahang has been accused of coaxing young boys to join the ruling component party and undergo a ritual to be part of a secret 'brotherhood'.

S Pravin Kumaran from Pahang had lodged a police report on Friday claiming that he was held against his will and coerced to join a shadowy group comprising young men.

However, after five days of being held captive, Pravin said he managed to escape two days ago from Pahang MIC Youth leader G Kumar Aamaan while they were in Kemaman, Terengganu.

The 22-year-old college student told reporters today that he got to know the MIC leader a week ago when he received a call from Kumar regarding a job offer.

"July 4 was the first time I heard from him. At that time, I did know anything about him except that he is a renowned MIC national-level leader," said Pravin.

"He offered me a job at a steel factory with a high salary and asked me to come down to Kuala Lumpur and on July 6, I met him in Puduraya (bus terminal) and from then on I was held like a captive," he recounted.

Pravin said from the time they met, he had to abide to everything he was instructed to do and that he felt as if he was being "hypnotized".

They bear similar tattoos

He added that he was forced to spend all the money he had brought with him to top up his prepaid mobile number.

"The five days I was with him, I was asked to arrange meetings with grassroots leaders, which I did, but things started getting fishy when I was not even allowed to speak privately on my mobile phone.

“All the calls I received was placed on loudspeaker mode so that others could hear my conversations as well," he said.

"I was being mentally tortured... they would not let me out of their sight. Although they were suppose to buy meals for me, they would get me only one meal and let me starve for the rest of the day," he said.

Moreover, during the five-day period, Pravin said that he was taken by Kumar to Manek Urai in Kelantan to meet with state-level leaders and to Terengganu, where he planned his escape.

"It was then that I was brainwashed to agree to become part of the brotherhood and I was asked to contribute RM30 for a special ritual where I would join 30 other boys from 16 to 24 to be members," said Pravin.

He said that he had met with several others from the 'brotherhood' and they all bore similar tattoos in the shape of 'Sanskrit Oum' (a Hindu religious symbol) on their body as well as wearing the same lockets around their necks.

However Pravin was unable to provide more details of the ritual as the event was to take place on Sunday.

Allegation meant to destroy reputation


When contacted, Kumar told Malaysiakini that the allegation was an attempt to damage his reputation ahead of the contest for MIC's central working committee in the upcoming party polls in September.

"The boy is a MIC member from Pahang and he called me wanting to meet so he came to KL.

"I had even spoke to his dad and they knew that he was with me... But suddenly yesterday morning, he went missing. We thought he went off with his relatives," said Kumar.

Kumar said he would wait for the police to contact him and expressed his willingness to assist with their investigation on the matter.

No comments: