Share |

Monday 20 July 2009

Guan Eng, we’re going to hold you to your word, but only if…

By Haris Ibrahim,

Beng Hock’s family has spoken.

Yes, they want to know the truth.

Yes, they want a Royal Commission of Inquiry.

However, they’ve also asked that Beng Hock’s death not be politicised.

Both sides of the political divide must respect their wishes.

That means don’t make this young man’s death a political football, to score goals against political opponents.

I attended the memorial at Kelana Jaya yesterday silently hoping that this wish of a family in mourning would be honoured.

I have to say that I heard speeches that payed scant regard to this simple request.

Not many, but even one is too many.

Sad.

Must politicians always look to make political mileage in every issue that crops up?

Can we not come together as we did yesterday at the stadium to just do what is right, without looking to score points?

Can we not demand to know the truth about Beng Hock’s death, without more?

Soon after I arrived at the stadium, and before I had a chance to listen to the speeches, PKR treasurer William Leong came up to speak to me.

I told him that if the memorial at the stadium and the convoy to accompany Beng Hock’s remains to its final resting place today is not just a case of Pakatan seizing the opportunity, brought on by the circumstances surrounding Beng Hock’s death, to hammer away at BN, we would expect the four Pakatan state governments to continue to hold these weekend memorials in stadiums in their respective states until the BN authorities give in and allow for the appoint of the Royal Commission, with terms of reference and composition that will us in no doubt as to its independence.

Then I heard the speeches. You can read about them in the Malaysianinsider and Malaysiakini.

And I heard Guan Eng make a promise to take a campaign through the country to force the government to appoint the Royal Commission.

I’m all for this, and I’m going to badger Guan Eng’s office to honour his word to the crowd gathered at Kelana Jaya yesterday, but only if they will strictly honour the family’s wishes.

If they can’t, then don’t bother.

The crowd yesterday?

Malaysiakini puts it at more than 3,000.

I think that’s about right.

poc1poc2poc3

Which brings me to my next question.

Where were the rest of you?

Couldn’t bring yourselves to give up you Sunday siesta?

No comments: