Share |

Thursday 16 July 2009

“Be a true Malaysian… and join Yayasan 1Malaysia”?

By Anil Netto,

I don’t know about you… but yesterday I received a couple of text messages from unknown sources urging me to “be a true Malaysian and join Yayasan 1Malaysia!”

My knee-jerk reaction was, you mean I can’t be “a true Malaysian” without joining Yayasan 1Malaysia?

The question on my mind was, who exactly is behind this Foundation?

So this Bernama report was most illuminating, as it lists down the eight-person board of trustees.

  • Chandra Muzaffar (chairperson);
  • Dr Jemilah Mahmood (Mercy Malaysia president);
  • Mahani Zainal Abidin (ISIS director-general);
  • Lee Lam Thye (NIOSH chairperson)
  • Idris Jala (Malaysia Airlines CEO)
  • Tony Fernandes (Air Asia CEO)
  • Ismail Ibrahim (holder of the Sheikh Abdullah Fahim Chair at the Islam Hadhari Institute, UKM)
  • K J Ratnam (an emeritus professor)

You can see their pictures here. And the Foundation’s objectives here.

Najib, who is the patron, has expressed happiness at the formation of the Foundation. According to Najib on his blog:

Some months ago I met with two highly-respected members of our Malaysian society, Dr. Chandra Muzaffar and Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye for a purpose: to discuss the establishment of an independent organisation that would epitomise the spirit of 1Malaysia.

Yesterday, I was happy to hear that Yayasan 1Malaysia and its Board of Trustees were officially presented to the media. I was invited to become the patron of the Yayasan, an honour I am proud to accept.

No comments: