Share |

Monday 15 June 2009

You're not a friend Subra, says Samy Vellu

IPOH, June 14 – MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu has alleged that his former deputy was toying with the Maika Holdings issue to destroy his reputation.

The MIC supreme said that Datuk S. Subramaniam had already said Koperasi Nesa Pelbagai Bhd would withdraw its injunction stopping Maika from selling its subsidiary Oriental Capital Assurance Bhd (OCAB) but had gone against his word.

“He does not want to withdraw the injunction because if Maika is unable to sell OCAB and pay its shareholders, ‘Samy Vellu’s’ name would be destroyed.

“They want to destroy us. They do not want Maika to close because so long as it exists, they can use it to hit at me since I am the founder,” he said today after attending the opening of the Perak Indian NGO’s Consultative Convention in Sungai Siput.

He however added that he had never been afraid of a fight and was ready to face the issue during the party’s coming polls this September.

Samy Vellu also said that if Maika could not sell OCAB, the poor in the Indian community would suffer badly.

“To me now, my main concern is finding another buyer. No matter what, I want the company sold and all 64,000 shareholders repaid,” he said.

He however admitted he was worried that it would not be possible to find a buyer willing to pay as much as the previous one had.

“We had a buyer willing to pay RM130mil for the company but now it has withdrawn because of the injunction.

“We lost such a big sale. I do not know if we can get such a large offer again, especially with the current economic situation,” he said.

Without naming anyone, Samy Vellu said he hated people who were only friends on the surface but enemies at heart.

“I hate that kind of thing. If I hated someone, I would tell him to his face.

“I won’t act like a friend and then hold an axe to his back,” he said.

Samy Vellu also said he would announce in a month's time who he planned to endorse for the post of deputy president during the party polls.

“I have not decided that yet. I want someone whom I can work with easily and who truly cares for the Indian community,” he said.

Three are vying for the post — current deputy president Datuk G. Palanivel,

vice-president Datuk S. Sothinathan and Subramaniam.

No comments: