Share |

Friday 19 June 2009

Conversions in my family

It's hard for me to understand why there's so much concern about conversions of minors in a family, where one parent embraces Islam.

By Estrelita Soliano Grosse

Here’s my own story.

When I was 17, my parents divorced. My dad, having remarried a Muslim was, of course, a convert. However, there were four of us from his first marriage. We were aged 20, 19, 17 and 13. Then, as best as I can remember, there was no issue about us believing and practising the religion of our choice. Neither were we even aware that it would be a topic of discussion, as it is today. We just carried on with our lives as best we could.

Anyway, not long after the divorce, my second sister fell in love with a Muslim. She converted and got married.

Then the first born fell in love with a follower of the Hindu way of life. She married him and today, she practices what, she believes in her heart, is best for her family.

My brother also eventually converted and married a Muslim girl.

As for me, I remained open to all the many religious possibilities and, eventually, chose the one that was closest to my heart.

My point is that the children in a mixed marriage, of which one parent is a Muslim, should be given that freedom to choose.

In our case, we all grew up understanding and accepting each other without any of the religious hang-ups. We weren’t forced or indoctrinated by anybody. We were left to find our own paths in life.

This freedom to choose had been crucial to the harmony in our family. We were allowed to let nature take its course and we all pursued different paths. Despite the differences, we are one family.

Did it turn out to be the right formula to follow? I think so.

Am I qualified to make this observation? I think I am.

No comments: