Share |

Thursday 12 February 2009

Karpal stays out of suit team

(NST) Lawyer Karpal Singh will not feature in the legal team that is to institute action to challenge the dismissal of Datuk Seri Mohammad Ni- zar Jamaluddin as Perak menteri besar.

Karpal, who is also DAP national chairman, said this was because Pakatan Rakyat leaders, including Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, felt that the Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Shah, ought not to be taken to court.

"I refuse to take part, although I was invited to be in the legal panel. I firmly believe that the sultan should be named as party to the action," he said outside the Federal Court yesterday.

Karpal appeared in court for the five Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) leaders who were detained under the Internal Security Act.

He said the head of state could be taken to court in his official and private capacity following amendments to the Federal Constitution in 1993.
"I am sure the sultan knows what I am saying. There is nothing unlawful, treacherous or disrespectful," he said, adding this matter was something elementary that even a first-year law student knew.

Karpal said an aggrieved party had 40 days from Feb 6 to file leave for judicial review in the High Court to commence action.

He said he would not be intimidated by the numerous demonstrations by Umno Youth members nationwide.

"Let me warn Umno. Don't push me. I will not bow to their pressure."

No comments: